Monday, July 25, 2011

Week 3 EOC: Demographics- MINE


Being born in 1986, I obviously fall under the Millennial category. I feel I belong to a mixture of both of the Millennial and the Generation X categories.

I identify with the Millennial because of its connection with mass social media today, with the internet, social networking, and technology, and the ability to establish means of getting the word out, the best example being the successful Obama text campaign. (“Barack Obama was the first presidential candidate to be marketed like a high-end consumer brand…young people want to be in control of their relationship with a brand ”, page 17) The truth is, we are being modeled by our technology and per evolution, we should adapt and use it to our advantage.

I also identify with the Generation X because of their conservative means of saving their money and judging what is of proper value before you go and buy something. For example, when I want to buy a DVD/BluRay, I want to make sure I’m getting the proper value for what I am paying for. (“They tend to research products before they consider a purchase, preferring quality over quantity, and they tend to be less receptive to overt marketing pitches”, page 16)

While I am undoubtedly part of the category that is leading the way in technology and being the first that actually learned how to properly use it, I also feel comforted to know that at least the previous generation has managed to more or less shave off that “slacker” label as they’ve grown older (“Once labeled as ‘the MTV generation’ and viewed as body-piercing slackers who whined about ‘McJobs,’ the Gen Xers have grown up and are now taking over.”, page 15). It’s shown that the youth are very much aware of what we’re up against, and what we have to do to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment