Monday, July 11, 2011

Week 1: Great Customer Service


I had a terrific customer service experience at Terrible’s Oil and Lube a few weeks ago. My car was due for its oil change, and it was the first time I was ever doing one. I had been expecting it to go into the hundreds, with a bunch of add-on charges. However, I had a coupon for $10 off the oil change at Terrible’s, so I elected to go to them. The wait was instantaneous, and their simple oil change was priced at $37.99, not including taxes. With my discount, plus taxes, it came out to $33 total. While waiting, I was given free coupons for Ballpark Hot Dogs inside of the gas station, as well as free reign of the coffee and donuts. The oil change took no more than 15 minutes, and you have full view of what they were doing to my car in the meantime. To put icing on this, they offered a free full service car wash), and with free use of the vacuum cleaners, which I gladly accepted. The men there were courteous, welcoming, very informative of letting me know what was being done to my car, and for $33, I got myself about $50-$60 worth of service.
“Whereas Wal-Mart stands for low prices, Costco is a retail treasure hunt, where one’s shopping cart could contain a $50,000 diamond ring resting on top of a vat of mayonnaise.” (Marketing- An Introduction, p. 343)
The quote rings true because many places claim the low prices mantle, but it’s also a matter of the value you get for the product, and if it’s the best overall savings for you in bulk at Cosco, rather than one at a time at WalMart. In car service, you’ll need every bit of value you can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment